Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Little Farmers Can Paint!

Charlotte Mason has been my inspiration all my homeschooling years. That being said, I haven't mastered the atmosphere or content like I would have expected by this time in our education, though each summer I determine it will be different. The ideas and accumulation of supplies come easy, but the execution of the plan is where I fall off the wagon. Art is one of those areas...
I've wanted to do watercolor painting and nature journals FOREVER, and today...
WE DID IT!

.


Using helpful tips from Pam, I was able to "see" what I needed to buy and "see" what I needed to do. Our watercolors represent the work of artists ranging from momma all the way to the three year old (soon to be four). Kind of impressionist, isn't it? (bottom right *wink*) I purposed to make it short and sweet and not labor over our work. Overall, I consider it a success, with only one older child moderately resentful (I think it is an expression of personal disappointment) and two in tears! I believe each attempt will be more satisfying. Soft classical music or hymns playing in the background will also be enjoyable in the future.

So many times I get bogged down waiting for the perfect time, or day, or situation, or how about..".as soon as the house is picked up, then I can do that". It just so happens, that my farmhouse is never quite completely "picked up", and those farm chores are just never quite done. So whether it is painting, nature journals, or some other activity, just try to start, knowing that you can "tweak" it along the way.

11 comments:

a mom of many said...

Bravo! How many times do we intend to do....but, wait for the golden moment?! A great reminder to jump in and DO!! I love it!

Mendi... said...

I'm learning that as well...just "start" something. Once I do, that looming black cloud of "shouldness" can't linger over me. I just wonder why it took me over sixteen years to figure it out!?! Satan is so deceptive and works so hard in so many areas to keep us in bondage even in the area of "shouldness"! As I work through the Beth Moore study of 'Breaking Free', I am learning how to effectively roll those boulders away that keep me from the fullness of Christ!

Mendi

Amanda said...

Those sweet little works of art are worth a frame on the wall!

Marcy said...

That was a good reminder for me. I feel like I never get everything done, so a lot of the more important things never happen. Glad I read this tonight!

Tonya Gunn said...

Oh, i know just what you mean about day after day going by because there just wasn't that "right" time - we do have to just make the time and do it sometimes.
The paintings came out beautifully.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Linda Stubbs said...

I read........and loved what I read.......you are such a precious Momma sweet lady! Now that I work outside the HOME with my fam.......I am not getting hardly anything done that I want it seems! It will be so fun to have Thanksgiving vacation for one whole week! Yes!

Tell your children that their art is beautiful! Tell them that Aunt Linda said so! Smile!

Hugs and have a wonderful weekend! Me

Sherry in MI said...

Hi Kath,

I LOVE the artwork!!! And yes, I am the same way ... "Just let me get this load of laundry in and then I'll read to you." I just have to quick start the dishwasher and then we will start that story." Pretty soon I am known for lip service and no action. Something I do NOT want to be known for. I continue to work on it, but not always successfully. Thanks for the challenge - I needed it!

Unknown said...

Hi there Regan family. I had been reading your blog for a long time and then through the change of computers, time, and whatever I then lost your link. I'm happy to say I've found it again.

Blessings,
tricia

EmilyK21 said...

I agree - those should be framed together in a group and hung - how cute! i also love your top pic w/ the girls washing pumpkins! :) I must say, that is a lot of pumpkins! Love ya!

Renata said...

Well done! They all look wonderful & well done to you for braving art with the family! I must admit art is the one subject I have to really make myself teach the kids - maths I could teach them all day long, but art no way!
I hope you have a wonderful week & brave the painting again sometime (you've even inspired me)
Have fun
Renata:)

Lydia said...

Dear Kathy,

What a sweet post!! I understand what you are talking about SOOOO much! I too, lack, when it comes to the execution of many wonderful ideas. (Thnks to Charlotte Mason for all the great ideas! I get so inspired by her as well) BUT I wish I could be less ridgid, or perhaps, less worried about certain conditions or timing or.....you seem to know what I am talking about based upon your post. I miss writing to my blogger friends, the Regan's!!!! I have been strangely absent from my own blog for quite some time. Hopefully, I will be back soon. BUSY!
I love your family so much! Take care and keep up the tremendous work! God knows your heart!
In Christ,
Lydia