Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nature Walks and Jesse Trees...Can You Help?


Treasures brought home from a recent nature walk~




These are known as Osage oranges in these parts of the country. Send me an email if you'd like some sent from our farm for your autumn table~



 I wish we had pressed this for some charming craft~




 Here is the gang after arriving back home. Note the raspberries harvested and enjoyed all over Running Squash's face. Delicious!

Is anyone doing a Jesse Tree this year? I found a lovely tree idea with a devotional book and symbols, but the company is not producing them this year. As typically happens, it is the eleventh hour and I need to find another source. So, I'm coming to you, friends. Any resources or ideas?

15 comments:

SusieQ said...

I don't know if you are interested in making your own Jesse tree Symbols but I made one out of felt using the book LET'S MAKE A JESSE TREE by Darcy James. You can get it at the library. You can find devotionals to go with it if you search google. Of course, you can find patterns online as well. Just search Jesse Tree patterns and you will have several sources to print and color.
If you are interested in buying -- there is a kit at Christianbook.com.
Have fun with your advent celebrations and your little ones.

Merry Christmas!
Karen

Unknown said...

Osage oranges? We call them things - hedge apples! See, you are the of the more sophisticated kind. ha!

Sounds like you are enjoying the gifts of autumn. I imagine it's beautiful where you are.

It's very nice here too. As I type, my chicken pox boys are outside playing with their air soft guns. They look cute all spotted and tough. ha!

I'll have to roam around and see what you've been up to. I remember you were all sick a while back. That is probably my least favorite part of the cooler months - definitely my least favorite part.

Have a beautiful Sunday and know that your blogging chum in Kansas is thinking of you!
Love,
Lynnette
PS Tell Jenna and Josh hello!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I can't help out with the Jesse Tree since I'm not familiar with that. However, the photos from your nature walk are lovely and it looks like the precious littles had a great time...juding by the smiles on their faces :) :) :) Oh, wanted to mention, that your header is fabulous!!! Have a lovely week. I'll be praying that God sends someone along who can answer your question :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, HEather :)

Lydia said...

Hello!
Thank you so much for your woirds of encouragement on my recent blog post! Do you think you will ever make it to SAICFF?? Right now it is 50% off until the 17th.We actually only went this year to the film festival, we could not afford to all go to the Academy, although Joshua and my husband did last year. YES! It would be lovely to meet you!!! If you ever come our way, please consider us family and a place to stay, or at least take some time to visit. :) Maybe we will meet someday...
I really do adore your blog and very sweet family. Keep up the fabulous work you are doing! You are precious in His sight!
God Bless.
Love,
Lydia
PS What is a Jesse tree?

Kyrie said...

I love nature walks! Such a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the Lord's handiwork and beauty. And collect some fun treasures!
Sorry I can't help out about the Jesse tree... I must say I don't even know what that is! Now I've got something to look up - it can be my "You learn something new everyday." item for today ;D !

Blessings!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

Kyrie said...

P. S. Love your new background and header!!!

-K<><

Renata said...

I have never seen anything like those osage oranges - do you eat them? Looks like you had fun on your nature walk - raspberries & all!
Hope you have a wonderful week
Renata:)
PS sorry can't help with the Jesse tree

Miss Kirsten said...

my family has had a Jesse Tree since I was little (I'm 20 now!) and I'm sure my mom would love to help you out :-) It's one of our favorite holiday traditions and one I hope to continue in my own family one day.

Cinnamon said...

I love that last picture!!! Your children are so beautiful and have such lovely smiles~

~Cinnamon

Susannah said...

Those Osage oranges (or hedge apples) are great for placing around the house to get rid of mice and spiders. :) We had them for awhile until they rotted.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Sorry I can't help you on the Jesse tree.

Looks like you nature hike was quite interesting. I'm curious what you have in the first picture. They almost look like burdocks but I never saw any quite that pink before.

Blessings~

Linda Stubbs said...

I'll email you tomorrow on our idea that we use in our HOME, tomorrow. Your children will love.........all the artists you have will be perfect!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS, me

~*~The Family~*~ said...

You can check out our Jesse tree here: http://minabema.blogspot.com/search/label/Jesse%20tree

Gae said...

Late to reply but I have some ideas on Jessie tree readings on my blog http://cherishedheartsathome.blogspot.com/search/label/Jesse%20Tree
and Ann at a Holy Experience has a great free devotional.
We just made our two Jessie tree decorations, one from felt for our banner (whoops different post http://cherishedheartsathome.blogspot.com/2010/12/our-first-sunday-in-advent-lost-post.html)
and the other from sculpy using the readings for each day.
A great family project
Blessings
Gae

fivetolove said...

The eleventh hour syndrome hit me too, as I have been wanting to do the Jesse tree for a few years and it always sneaks up on me. What I am going to do this year instead is a short daily Bible study on the names of Jesus.(Google search brings up great lists.) You could even have the kids color in a drawn oval, say, with the name inside. I am still developing that in my mind on how to make some paper ornaments with the names and hang them up instead. Or paint on some little plaques from Michaels or Hobby Lobby each day.
I know, go ahead and laugh...I am just realizing that, duh, it is already Dec. 1 and I'm behind AGAIN! :)