Thursday, October 14, 2010

Farmhouse News...Joys and Sorrows

Thank you everyone for your prayers, sweet comments and suggestions. We made it through whatever illness we had, with only a few coming down with the virus. Jenna had it the worst, but yesterday did not require a nap, and today we received the most thoughtful care-package from our new, dear friends to speed along our recovery.

Sunday also held sorrows for us as we had to put down Joshua's goat after a very aggressive infection took over. We knew she was sick, and I even said "Be prepared...", but we never expected the suddenness with which it happened.The farm is strangely quiet, and though some may not realize why, for us (and especially Joshua), the death of an animal is just plain painful. I remember years ago when we would talk of goats, I couldn't imagine that they actually had "personality". Now that we are officially owners and breeders of goats, there is clearly a uniqueness about each one that is very endearing, coupled with the daily contact, care and milking of the herd. As you can imagine, a bond is formed that only grows over the years.

As the farm momma, I want to say something wise and encouraging, but all I can really think of, is that God cares for the sparrows, and other living things as well. This is sad for us, yet my children are learning important lessons for life that are rooted here on the farm, guided by the tender hand of the Creator of the universe.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for you guys and especially Joshua. Having to put down a beloved animal is never easy. I have the hardest time with every death on our place. Some times it seems as though all there is here is death, other times are full of life...we love those times. :) Glad you are all on the mend physically and that not everyone was effected by the illness in your home! Praying for health and healing for you all. :)

Martha Joy said...

Glad to know that y'all are doing better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I'm very sorry about Joshua's goat! I know how that is to loose a goat! It's very sad and terrible! (or any other animal for that matter) I had a goat that died, too. :(

Well, hope y'all continue to get better!
Much love to y'all! ;)
Blessings,
Martha Joy

Kelsianne said...

I'm so sorry to hear you had to put down Josh's goat. I know how painful it is to lose a pet. Praying for you all.
Blessings,
Kelsey

PBKISSES said...

Glad to hear that you are doing better...viruses can be dreadful in a large family!
Blessings!

Farming On Faith said...

I am so sorry~I sure understand!

I am glad you are all on the mend. Bless your heart~hope you are getting yourself a bubble bath.
It was so good to hear from you!

Joshua said...

Glad everyone is feeling better and give my condolences to Josh. I know what it feels like to lose an animal, because it is a major part of the family. No matter if it is an animal, the goat is still a wondrous part of God's magnificent creation, and that goat was made specifically to bond with Josh. Sorry Josh, I can definitely relate.

In Christ,
Joshua :)

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you had to watch one of your beloved goats die. :( You're right, it's painful to lose an animal. I remember crying my eyes out when we had to put our first dog down.

So glad your illness didn't get you all too badly. That's one thing I absolutely dread about the cooler weather - sickness. I think I'll feel that way until I don't have little kids anymore. Ya know?

So glad I stopped by so I could give you a big HUG! Here you go friend. {{{{{Kathy}}}}}

Love to you.
Lynnette

Lecia said...

The loss of an animal is never easy. They truly become like members of your family and I am sure your goat will be greatly missed.

Lydia said...

Thinking of you precious family of God. Will say a prayer to our Savior for your continued health and comfort. Please tell Joshua how much we care and are saddened about his goat. God knows and hears our every cry and need and He cares for us. "Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you" Embrace all the struggles and pain and He will take you through in an AMAZING way, for HE IS good!!!!
Love in Christ dear friends,
Lydia Hoppman

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

I am glad to hear that you all are feeling better! As the oldest in a family of eight, I know how miserable it can be to have a virus go through the house!

I hate that your goat had to be put down. I had to put down one of my horses a little over a year ago, and it was one of the hardest things I had ever had to do. Farm life is so much fun but there are lots of painful realities...

Blessing to you all,

McKenzie~

Simple Home said...

I'm glad you made it through the worst of this virus and your family is on the mend. I'm so sorry for Joshua and the hurt he and all of you are going through. You're still in my prayers.
Blessings,
Marcia

Linda Stubbs said...

Oh sweet Regan Family.........we are so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to watch one of your family pets go through something like this. Keeping you all in my prayers.

I have been so absorbed by life.......sorry I am late on this one! Hugs to you all!

Have a very restful Sonday! KNow I will be "thinkin" about you.......a lot!
Hugs to you all!
Linda