Monday, August 15, 2011

How Can I Get Into the 21st Century?

Can I just say how FRUSTRATED I am that I have NO IDEA what AF means, or BFP, AMA, OP, or multiple other acronyms floating around on certain "helpful" internet sites? And it seems to me that a very simple solution is to consider the more "mature" audience who might not have a clue and include a list of definitions...
...and what does "bump" mean???

Trying to appreciate my simple ignorance~
Kathy


17 comments:

Linda Stubbs said...

Good morning..........this made me giggle.......I don't know either.........does it matter? Heehee! Where do you see that? I guess I haven't noticed! Bump....not sure on that either! When you find out let us know........not sure we need to know, do we?

Hugs to your day sweet lady! I will be in the kitchen today........wanna be HOME!

Love you muches, Linda

Melody said...

{{{hugs}}}

Based on the ones you listed, maybe this link will help?

http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/content/ttc-acronyms

Oh, and there's a couple not on that list.

AMA - against medical advice
OP - original post/poster
bump - pregnant belly

Hope that helps!

Ruby Jean said...

Oh so Hilarious... :) Just think what the Language will sound like in 10 even 20 yrs... We will be talking in Code...

melanie said...

Laughing at Melody's list above... When anyone says AMA, I think of the infamous-at-our-house American Medical Association... just a bit contrary to "against medical advice" : )

I'm not making light of your pain, Kathy ~ Really thankful for a God who knows and cares for each of our little ones.

Prairiemaid said...

All this can be a puzzle, for sure!

AF....air force (?)

If BFF is best friends forever, maybe BFP is best friends perhaps?

If like the last commenter said, AMA is "against medical advice"....that's really funny, since at one time you would have thought "American medical association." But you could then say ~ "AMA of the AMA". *smile*

I'm not sure we need to know...too much detail for my brain. ;)

I'm a new follower! What a beautiful family you have.

Blessings,
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Hmmm, That is an interesting conundrum. I'm only 18, and I don't even know what those mean (maybe 'bump' is similar to 'poking' somebody?), but then again, I don't use twitter, so I'm not forced to use 140 letters or less.
One nice feature might be that after every acronym, there's one of those little tiny footnote numbers, and down in the footnotes, there would be the full words.
Paul L.

Renata said...

Oh I have no idea ~ guess we're still living last century here as well! Had a giggle at some of the ladies ideas above!
Hope you have a wonderful day ~ praying for you still
Blessings
Renata:)

ccc said...

Ha ha , it looks like you have been on some of the sites that I have been perusing! It has taken me awhile to get familiar. And, like someone said most have a page where they describe the meanings.
AF-Aunt Flo( a funny name for your period)
BFP-Big fat positive(on your preg test)and BFN is big fat negative.
OP-Original Poster(when there is a post and then many other people put comments after it.)


It took me so awhile and I remember that for the life of me I could not understand 2ww(two week wait) for the 2 weeks after you ovulate and you are waiting to see if AF shows or not to see if you get your BFP. I never heard that in all my life and I had sat through many, many 2ww!
Good luck!

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Okay, this post made me laugh...and made me feel old, cause I have no idea what any of those mean.

Anonymous said...

Way too funny!!
AF is Aunt Flow (your monthly cycle)
BFP is Big Fat Positive (pregnancy test)
Bump is just keeping the thread at the top. if the thread is on page 3 you can "bump" it to the front page...

hope that is more helpful :)
Giselle from SavingAddiction.com

babycenter.com has a page to help you out with all this fun stuff!

Natalie at Maple Leaf Circle said...

Very funny! I like the suggestions above - especially BFP: "Best Friends Perhaps"! It seems that every day new acronyms are made. Is someone writing a dictionary for this - I would like to pre-order it!

Thanks for sharing and adding a little humor to my day!

Amy said...

I know that on some posts, a response with the word "bump" in it is usually a way to make that topic or question move to top of the list if they aren't getting answers.

Marmee's Pantry said...

Thanks for making me feel better! lol I'm not up on many of what seems to be "newer" acronyms. The ones I'm most familiar w/are:

DH = Dear Husband
DW = Dear Wife (for the men-folk)
DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son
MIL = Mother-in-law
FIL = Father-in-law
SIL = Sister-in-law or Son-in-law, depending upon the context of your conversation
IMHO = In My Humble Opion

...& I'm sure you know the lol's of the blog world. '-)

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Cheryl@OntheOldPath said...

Well I just stumbled upon your blog and I have to say by reading the above comments I learned something today. I was going to say I have no idea what those things mean. Sadly there is a good chance if you were to quiz me in a week that I may have forgotten. I am so sorry for your loss, we have had two very early on miscarriages and it is a difficult thing. I wish I had all the answers because life can sure throw some challenges at us, but we know who holds the answers and there is comfort in that isn't there. I must say you have a beautiful family. I am following along and praying for you, perhaps you'll pop by and meet us.

susanwalkergirl said...

Mrs. Regan I'm right there with you. I guess we have lots of good company.

susanwalkergirl said...

I pray you and your family are doing well Mrs. Regan!

EMMA said...

I have no idea either what any of them mean! I only just recently got up the courage to ask what LOL is!