Saturday, July 2, 2011

If You Have Little Ones...

...and you're questioning the wisdom of peer dependence and age segregation, be encouraged to press on! Make choices for your family that promote unity and friendship within your home, then be blessed as you watch it radiate.

Tonight I watched with pleasure as a group of seventeen and eighteen year old young people interacted across ages and generations. They didn't withdraw into sullen secrecy, nor reject those outside their age or developmental group. Instead there was laughter, conversation, games...attention and play given to the littles, inclusion for those with special needs, respect and help offered voluntarily.

The farm was alive tonight with wonderful young people. Don't believe the lie that the teen years are to be dreaded...or endured...or avoided. Don't give up on the needs of the season, and don't give in to the pressures of the world. Build into your little ones skills that will make them competent and enjoyable teens, and you will reap a harvest of blessing!

7 comments:

Melodie said...

I love this post! It is so heartening! So many people just excuse "sullen" teens as that is just the way teens are.No it is not! That is the way they have been taught by peers and allowed to behave by adults. I am thankful everyday that I have been able to keep my son at home for school! I have been told time and time again by other adults how wonderful a young man he is because he knows how to be polite and interact with adults,but he can also scoop up a crying toddler and comfort him.I believe this is a very important life skill we are teaching our children!

Josh said...

Thank you momma for all the help and support pulling last night together. I had a great time!
Love you,
Josh

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Great post. Whenever you look around, teenagers seem to be so grumpy all the time....at least their faces show it. Really sad for a generation who seems to have "everything".

You have a beautiful blog.

Linda said...

This post is so good. I wish that all kids could be homeschooled, and kept from the peer pressures of life. But it just can't be that way.

Two of my daughters have always homeschooled their kids and they are great kids, and they get along well with small children as well as adults. They are respectful. They have been so blessed by their up-bringing.

But 4 of my grandkids have to go to public school and there is such terrible language and bad habits out there. These kids have fallen into the ways of the world, and it breaks my heart.

The oldest boy has gotten into trouble. I can't just blame it on public schools though, as there are good kids and good schools out there too.

These kids are from a broken home, and divorce has done it's damage. The dad is not being a good dad, and the mom has to work full time. Which is the story of so many kids out there in the schools.

The sins of the fathers are affecting the children big time in today's world... and the moms are not able to be home for the kids.

The lack of Spiritual teachings and values is hurting the kids of today. I pray for them all the time.

God is able to do what seems impossible in our minds though. The church can be a vessel and a light house...if we would just do what the Lord wants us to do as his body.

VBS is a tool to reach the kids of those who don't go to church. I have seen the good those programs can do. Two of my grandkids went to one last week. And they gave their hearts to the Lord. At least the seeds were planted. I pray that the devil doesn't try to snatch up the seed before it grows roots. The ways of the world have such a strong pull.

We as Christians need to pray and reach out...and be good examples of believers.

It's nice when we are safe in our own little worlds...but we do need to be lifelines for others who are drowning.

I am convicted myself and pray the Lord will use me to help others.

Love, Linda

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I really enjoyed this post. I don't have kids...but I love how you stand firm behind your family :) :) I LOVED how the older ones interacted with the younger ones. Now my background is a little different, I went to a state-run daycare center from the time I was 2-12 years old...6-12 year olds were together...all the time. so I really learned how to get along with a lot of different people. We had to, because we were all together :) :) If I ever have kids, I'm thinking about homeschooling them. In any case, have a Happy 4th of July weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Mendi... said...

Such an encouraging post... Our soon-to-be seventeen year-old daughter just commented yesterday how much she longs for fellowship/friendship with like minded kids her age to spend time with, have fun with, grow closer to the Lord with. Homeschooling isn't "big" in the area in which we live and the majority of the kids in our church don't share the same morals, values and virtues that we do therefore a gathering like the one you described is miraculous to us. The teenage years for our family have been so rich and wonderful. As you said, not to be dreaded if their spirits are nurtured in the Lord. Thanks for sharing!

susanwalkergirl said...

I just found your blog and feel like I've walked into a room with refreshing fresh air. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Blessings in Christ...Susan