Last week we spent the day canning carrots and kale with the intention of using it in soup this winter. It was hard to imagine cold weather and snow, but we KNOW it's coming, so we were a little excited about our experiment.
Today Josh opened the cabinet, and ...wow...what a stench! Not one of those buggers stayed sealed! So this morning we fed the 21 jars to the hogs (minus the jar that got swiped off the counter and spilled all over the floor). All that by 9:00 a.m....
Other pressing matters on the farm are not really farm in nature. Now is the time to be wrapping up plans and ordering materials for our schooling/educating for the fall. Is there ANYONE else out there looking for that perfect history booklist and companion schedule/study guide? Under $500???? Have you found it???? I'd like it to be a Charlotte Mason philosophy, literature based, organized by time period (American history right now) with a daily schedule that is organized and easy to follow. Please make it rich in all the beautiful books out there, honest with the issues facing the culture of the day, and something that will inspire my children as they see the hand of God throughout HIStory.
Some that I've looked at/tried:
~Truthquest
~Notgrass
~Sonlight
~Queen Homeschooling
~Ambleside Online
~Winterpromise
~Mystery of History
I'd love to hear from you, friends! Am I missing something out there?
30 comments:
Hello, Mrs. Regan!
Well, we use My Father's World, (Q's use it, and Mr. Quakkelaar sells it), and it works very well...I don't know if you've looked at that before, or if that is at all what you had in mind...I'm pretty sure the main history book is Story of the World, but you'd have to check. I just finished the first year of high school and LOVED it! (see my recent posts :) So maybe you could look into that??? Just a suggestion! :)
www.mfwbooks.com
In Christ,
Elizabeth
we've always used the Beautiful Feet literature based course for history in the lower grades and the Dr. James Stobaugh history for the upper grades. All the kids in our family have like them
You didn't mention www.guesthollow.com, a wonderful free curriculum (if you're ok with getting most of your books from the library and just buying anything you can't do without or can't find at the library.) Personally, I like to use the best of ALL of them and make my own scheudule. I'm doing American History for the first time this year, and I just make myself a topics list in chronological order and will use whatever materials serve me well topic by topic. I'm doing The Explorers, Native Americans, Colonial Times, The Revolution and Westward Expansion this year. Next year I'll pick up with the Civil War and go all the way to modern times. With a basic text or even wikipedia to guide you, along with book lists from Sonlight, WP, etc. you can truly just "do what's next" and save SO much money. Just read and discuss together and do some copywork or illustrated narratives. Have fun!
Hello! This is my first visit to your blog and I'm loving it! We used Heart of Dakota this past year, and our family really enjoyed it. There are daily lesson plans and the books they use are amazing. The website is heartofdakota.com
Happy history hunting!
Susan
Hi Kathy,
Have you ever been to the website Simplycharlottemason.com They have a free curriculum guide right on the website with all grade levels listed. They divide history into 6 modules or years of study.They use the same great books that the other curriculums you listed use but not in an overwhelming amount. In fact there is a woman on the boards there that follows your blog. I asked how she knew you but she said she just liked your blog and didn't know you. Check it out for yourself and maybe you will find something you like there.
Love ya,
Karen
Oh my dear friend, cleaning jars of unsealed vegetables happened to me on my first canning attempt. It was applesauce...and it took me almost a week to clean up the mess it made in the cupboard :(
I use Ambleside curriculum with great success. I don't purchase any books but instead use the public library a great deal. Lots and lots of reading...
Schedule, well, I make my own based on the time period. Since, we use Living Books, I choose a period of history and take out books regarding this time and assign reports after they are read. So far, my soon to be
16yrs old is really enjoying himself...my soon to be 13 yr old is using two textbooks from the 1930's that guide him through this period with questions after the chapter. Living books will be added after every chapter is finished. He enjoyes textbooks so I use them on him only.
I pray this helps you...
Blessings,
We absolutely LOVED the Mystery of History. We did and still do sometimes pull books from the Sonlight list, but theirs don't seem to give proper honor and glory to God like the Mystery of History. (Just my humble opinion. Best Wishes!
I'm not married nor have kids..but I have a lot of married friends who homeschool their kids. I could ask around. I hope you find what you need at the price that you want :) :) :)
Oh, at first I misread the beginning of your post. I was thinking you were going to used the canned veggies to make soAp...then I realized you meant soUp..ha ha ha hah a!!!Glad I figured it out, because for awhile there I was wondering how in the world you make soap bars with canned vegetables :) :) Have an awesome week. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heathr :)
Thank you everyone! Now I will sit down and do some looking into these rich resources!
Kathy
Hi. When we started 'school' we used Mystery of History. But we got through the books faster than the publisher could get it out and needed something, so my sister let us borrow her Tapestry of Grace. TOG covers all subjects and basically it would be all that you would need. We just used it for the history section, although we sneaked a few literature ideas in from its resources.
I enjoy canning. So sorry that none of yours sealed.
We are trying History Odyssey this year! I am hopeful!! Leslie Burks
You have it on your 'already tried it' list, but we do LOVE using TruthQuest History =) Getting ready to start over at the Beginning next fall for another six-year journey through HIS-story.
I trust God will provide just what *your* family needs!
I used Konos for my kids when they were young. We loved it!
As they got older we switched to Sonlight and my daughter loved it because she enjoyed doing so much on her own and the lessons were already done.
I think it really does depend on not only your child's learning mode but also you and the way you enjoy teaching and how much time you have. What works for one doesn't always work for another. But I sure wish I could have all the money back I spent on curriculum and books we didn't like or didn't use.
Hello-
I am a visitor here from Once upon a family.
We are trying Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer this year. I have had many people tell me it is a wonderful curriculum. It does follow all the living books out there.
Great blog. I hope to visit often.
Kathy ~
hugs to you! and hoping that next batch will be sealed TIGHT!
As for "curriculum" I think we will all find the PERFECT one once our youngest graduates :) just kidding! I have found over the years that we needed to take the best of whatever we are using and tweek the rest to MAKE it work for our children's learning styles and our family life! I happen to have some Amer history you are welcome to borrow for the year if you can wait til we come up in Aug? Let me know I would be blessed to share!
And I have to say THANKS to Elizabeth for the rave review :) Gabe started HS this week and has been pleasantly surprised at how interesting it is!
Hugs
Amy Q
Kathy,
We are still working on finding that perfect curriculum - each of my children are so different. This year we are trying Queens' Language Arts for the little girls. We have used Tapestry of Grace for the last 4 years and love the history - it's very rich and you can pick and choose what activities to partake in. I don't find the unit study overwhelming because all of the children are learning the same thing, just at different levels.
Blessings,
Michelle
We have used many of the ones you mentioned and I can't wait to check out the new ideas you received! Last year we used Around the World in 180 Days which is really supposed to be a geography unit study, but each continent also includes the history. It was a new method for us to study history, but liked it for a change. You didn't mention how many "students" would be using your choice for history, such as if the highschoolers will use something different?
Love the new picture on your blog--lovely :)
Bambi
Hi Mrs. Regan,
We have used TruthQuest and Ambleside, and I must admit, although I wasn't too impressed with Ambleside when I had to do it, I'm reaping the benefits now - almost 5 years later. It gave me a solid base in serious literature and taught me so much more history than the traditional textbooks ever could. I would definately recommend it. It's not too hard to assign chapters to read each day, and it certainly is ver rewarding.
I wouldn't be so quick to recommend TruthQuest - maybe because I'm on my 3rd and LAST time through it ;) The ThinkWrites to provide much material for thought.
Also something not mentioned on your list that I would highly recommend -maybe even just for fun!- is Diana Waring's "What in the World is Going on Here?" This is a series of 3 CDs. On these CD's she tells the story of the world from a Christian perspective. I've really enjoyed these and I've learned quite a bit from them.
(I don't think she says a huge amount about US history)
We are looking into curriculum right now. Ill get back with you soon and fill you in. Loved catching up on your beautiful family~ Blessings Catherine
I researched for what sounds similar to what you want and ended up with Heart of Dakota for this year. You can check them out at HeartofDakota.com and they also have a message board that is very helpful. Also, FYI they are coming out with 3 new programs (a new one each year) for the older grades. They are Charlotte Mason based.
I have a blog award for you over at
http://thestoryofus3.blogspot.com/
Stop by to check it out!
First time poster here--
One poster already mentioned Diana Waring, but she talked about the CDs only. We use the curriculum written by Diana Waring (which includes those same CDS), which is more of a Unit study approach, and there are a lot of great book recommendations that we have found and have used many of them from our local library systems.
The one we're working on right now is Romans, Reformers, and Revolutionaries, which basically covers after the time after the Resurrection through the American Revolution. Not exactly American history, though! We appreciate it because it does come from a specifically biblical worldview. In fact, Answers in Genesis is now the publisher of it.
We haven't used it yet, but we are looking into Dr. Paul Jehle's Constitutional Law course. You may or may not be familiar with him. He's got some great CD sets relating to American History as well. We've learned a lot about American history and gov't from him.
Mrs. K M
Hello! My daughter told me about your blog.(www.pecanpastures.blogspot.com) She reads your daughters blog and told me that she thought I would enjoy yours.
I know you must have been SICK about your vegetables. It is a lot of work putting food up. We have been busy with blueberries, tomatoes and peaches this week.
Curriculum... we have used (and enjoyed Sonlight) and also Notgrass. There are so many choices out there, it is hard to decide. Hope you find the perfect one for your family!
Wanted you to know, Once more Josh has made me feel at ease while raising a boy. You all have done such an amazing job. Blessing Catherine
Hello Mrs. Regan,
I know you are looking for history curriculum, which I cannot help you with, but I do have a question for you regarding your vegetable canning... did you use a pressure canner for the carrots and kale? While almost anything you can imagine can be successfully canned, you must use the proper method. Aside from jams, jellies, most fruits and some tomatoes, the rest of the foods will not process properly in a waterbath. Micro-organisms will not be killed and the food can ferment (breaking seals) and grow nasty things like botulism. Another thing to check for, especially on used jars, is that the top edge of the jar is in perfect condition and free of any tiny nicks. Those will prevent a good seal as well. I don't know from your post if you are a seasoned canner or a beginner. I always recommend a modern canning book for reference and I am always happy to answer questions and help in any way I am able.
I enjoy your blog very much.
In Him, Mrs. Kristine Smith
Isn't that always the way - when you get two steps ahead, you have a must-have do-over. I hope you get to replenish your canning for the fall!
We've homeschooled in the past - and one history book still on our shelves is "Sweet Land of Liberty" by Charles C. Coffin - a reprint of an 1881 history book. I highly recommend it, though I do not know if it has an accompanying guide. I rarely used guides for reading and history:)
Hi! I love "Story of the World" by Susan Bauer. It reads like literature and comes with a workbook if you're into that sort of thing. Good luck.
Sorry about your canning issue. I had this happen with a batch of tomatoes last year. I am now one of your followers. Love your blog.
XO,
Valerie
I've used beautiful feet for the younger kids and I've done my own for the older ones. I have a friend that uses Tapestry of Grace and loves it. I tend to be a bit biography based, because I enjoy them myself. I've been blessed with many of them though, from an uncle that spent his life reading (well, his profession was teacher). He's a wonderful Christian man and has been sending me books since I started homeschooling 15 years ago.
Blessings,
Marcia
I've used Notgrass too, I forgot to mention. I like it.
Blessings,
Marcia
Post a Comment