What is a momma to do when her little boy is no longer a little boy...when that little energetic toddler turns into a young man ...when, independent of that adoring momma, he's quite good at something he loves?
She turns some of that nurturing into good old-fashioned boastin' on her boy! Now, with all due propriety and modesty of course, instead of doting on him or restraining his emerging manho*d, heap on the praise! Let your little man know just how proud you are of his work... let him know how amazing his talent is...tell him he is essential to the success of the team...make sure he knows how SWEET his play at the plate was (has anyone ever seen that before in Little League??? 
Make sure he knows that OF COURSE, when he is drafted by the Tigers as their next greatest catcher, OF COURSE you'll be at every game eating a ball park hot dog...cheering him on to another victory.
7 comments:
Oh yes!! We are the faithful fans of our toddler turned teenager--- I mean---- young man :-)
Teenagers are those people with that thing stuck to their ear ( I think they call it a cell phone now) and their pants hang down so you can see their boxers. And you'd look them in the eye but their hair is hanging in it :-)
Yes we are the faithful fans at our young mans every event :-)
Love the pictures of your guy! Your children all have a radiant smile~
~Cinnamon
I agree with Cinnamon about the Tean*ager thing. Being a "Young Man" myself (sixteen) I can attest to the importance of what you posted, giving a boy more responsibilities (I prefer that word over indep*ndence) as his maturity allows, and when he needs a good kick in the pants to get move'n, and give'n it to him! And then encouraging him in his pursuits.
I love the picture of him just about to throw the ball!
P.S. what's with the " * " in the words?
Wow that little guy is growing up so fast -- They all do that don't they?
We actually saw him at church on Sunday but didn't get to talk to him. We did wave though.
We said "hi" to someone Don knew from BSF and when we came out to the narthex your family was gone. I didn't see you there either. I guess you were home with the littles. Anyway Caleb looks great!
Dear friend,
As a mother of two young men, 15 & 12, it is sometimes hard to let go of our view of them.
But it is so good to see them exceed in something that we know they have worked hard for.
Praise is important, but as long as the praise is always truthful and not a way of "puffing him up". Then we are just creating a bit of a monster.
In His Grace,
Maria
As a fellow Little League Mom, I can relate (and by the way, my 9 year old had a most amazing slide to third last night :) )While I sometimes miss the "little" years, I am so proud of the young men my boys are becoming and am now less sleep deprived and can truly enjoy it!
Good one!!!:) Three cheers for supportive Mom!!! Love it!:)
Oh you are a lovely mummy and I really do enjoy reading your blog. :)
Post a Comment