I have milked the cow!!!
This week I have been "in training" doing chores that I never do. Coming out to the farm six years ago sounded wonderfully romantic, full of charm and vintage farm life, simplicity and down-home goodness. But quite honestly, the children do practically all the farm work. Thankfully Josh and Jenna love it, because I'm not so sure I'd stick it out if left to myself!
I was a bit intimidated by the cow, but discovered that I can put her halter on and lead her without any trouble. Josh was careful to show me which part of the halter goes around her nose, and which part goes over her ears. So far, so good. With only a couple tugs, I managed to bring her into the barn for milking and then came the next hurdle. Josh said, "Now you need to learn how to tie a 'quick-release knot' around the post." I needed a few demonstrations, but discovered that tying knots may be similar to my mom's interest in Sodoku. It is mentally challenging...
Two other concerns I had in addition to the knot-tying, was "stripping" her, and whatever would I do if she decided to release her bowels? I've heard countless stories of how the children can see signs of impending release, run for the shovel, and actually catch it (or most of it) before it makes a mess of everything in the vicinity. I was on my own tonight, and confess I felt a little vulnerable bending right behind her behind...my kiddos sing in the barn~I was asking the cow to use her manners for my sake...really, I did. Thankfully, no problems of that sort, but I can't always be so fortunate! As for the stripping, I finally got it together and was able to make my brain and fingers coordinate their movement. Back to the pasture she went, and my first time milking~all by myself~was successful!
If the day comes when I'm all alone on the farm, I'm not sure what I'll want to do or what I'll want to take care of. But for today, it did feel good to "do hard things" and stretch myself out of my box, as long as I know my kiddos are not leaving me yet!
15 comments:
You really had me laughing with this one!What is srtipping?? I have milked our goat before, but I am definitely not as proficient at it as Kelsey or Mykaela! The first time I tried, I felt like a miserable failure! Kesley's first time, she made it look simple ans picked it up so quickly! We all have a differnt learning curve...:):p/:? Sounds like you did great! Fear not, you'll be a pro before you know it!
Thanks for sharing again. I love reading your posts because I adore your heart and honesty!
In His Grip,
Love,
Lydia
LOL!! I've always thought it sounded wonderful, romantic and all that to have a farm and to hand-milk cows and all kinds of country things... but I have yet to handle any more than a few chickens (we can't have any more animals than that on the property we rent)... Your post has 'enlightened' me somewhat... I never even thought about the fact that milking a cow isn't simple and nice... possible cow manure??? ugh!!!! LOL!
Thanks for sharing! :)
Good on you for having a go...
This story brought back memories of seeing my mum squatting milking her favourite cow. Boy did mum move quick if the cow's tail started to lift! lol
I tried but couldn't manage to get any milk out but my five year old daughter at the time (29 now) was a natural at milking.
I enjoyed reading your post, thank you so much for sharing.
Tania
Love it! You go girl!
Thanks for sharing. This made me smile:)
Oh Kathy...this post is just priceless!
Good for you for trying something new :) Yes, I have been one of the ladies that have romanticized farm life, until I visited many of my friends' spreads, and I also don't think I could do it all the time.
But you did great! You tried it eventhough it was something different and took you out of your comfort zone :)
Cheers for you dear friend!
Maria
Thanks for making me laugh.
I understand your pain~really I do.
I sometimes miss my nice manicured lawn and my neighbors.
That's when I gently remind myself to be content! LOL
Have a great day!
that is funny!!! :) We are awaiting for the Lord to show us where to purchase land as we want a family farm too. It has been a dream of ours and I know we are getting close and I certainly did not know all that about the cow milkin!!!!! Now that I do I think I will be smart like you and have the kids figure that out!!! :) Keep up the good work.
Jessica
I was smiling as I read this post. Funny, funny :-) Hey, I could come over and help you :-) THAT would be even more comical :-0
~Cinnamon
Kathy,
Your story was so funny - thanks for giving me a heads up as to what I'm in for when we get our milking cow.
Blessings,
Michelle
Dear Kathy,
I always so enjoy reading your posts. Tehy are so life filled with realism and yet humour and love for your lifestyle
I love that you sahre this with us
BTW I have an award for you on my blog
Blessings
Gae
How cute. Momma finally milks Bessy! :) ha!
I think (I said, THINK) I would enjoy farm life more if I didn't have so many other responsibilities, but who knows. Might be wishful thinking.
Congrats my friend.
Lynnette :)
Yay!!!! You did it!!!! I milked by myself for the first time today!!!! Of course, I have a milking machine, but still, I fed everyone and milked!!!! I can very much appreciate your excitement! And it is nice to know we can do it when we need to!!
Blessings,
Linda
Being a city girl, I'd have no idea how to do this, and yet both of my parents grew up doing this very thing. I loved the way you told the story. I never had any idea there were "things" to watch out for either! They never show that part in the movies you see with someone milking a cow.
Blessings,
Marcia
you not only made me smile, you shattered my also dream of life on small farm, idly passing the day completing a few chores, sitting on the porch and enjoying the breeze...thanks for bringing me back to reality where I need to be! Coww poo...no, not so much for me. Love your blog, i won't miss it from now on!
Post a Comment