Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Around The Farm...With Raw Yogurt and Raw Honey


Well it is downright crazy weather here on the farm! Instead of sunny May, it feels like late October with howling winds and freezing temperatures. I'm so cold I've been requesting fires again just to take the chill off the house.

Not wanting to miss an opportunity to help, Natalie loads up to bring in more wood. Isn't it great when even the little ones learn how important they are in keeping the home?

Looking for the bright side of our weather pattern, when the wood stove is on, I can make my raw milk yogurt and let it culture overnight in the warmth of the stove. This is so easy to do!

Raw Milk Yogurt

2 gallons fresh milk (preferrably raw, full fat)

1 packet yogurt culture starter, or one 6 oz.container Dannon yogurt (plain or vanilla)

Option 1: Raw method

Warm to 115 degrees. Remove 3-4 cups and whisk in the yogurt or starter. When well blended, add back into stock pot of milk and ladle into jars.

Option 2: Cooked method

Warm to 180 degrees, then submerge pot into cold water and bring temperature down to 110 degrees. Continue as in option 1.

If the wood stove is on, I can set the jars on the bricks, cover with a heavy towel and leave overnight. Refrigerate in the morning. Otherwise, place large jars of hot water into a cooler, then add the jars of yogurt. Within 4 hours the yogurt should be ready for the refrigerator.

The other new acquisition is all this beautiful raw, local honey! Jars upon jars on my shelves now, hopefully to last us quite awhile...and provide ample opportunity for a visible object lesson:

"Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Proverbs 14:24

May we strive daily to have those pleasant words on our tongue!

16 comments:

Beautifully Veiled said...

I so loved your pictures! Alas, I have no wood stove, so my poor yogurt sits on a heating pad under an old blue speckled canning pot! And ALL THAT HONEY! And it is LOCAL. And it is RAW! What a tremendous blessing! The picture was beautiful! Thanks for taking the time in the midst of it all to take that picture! Hope you keep warm, and have a great day tomorrow.
Linda

Anonymous said...

It seems like our family is always out of honey! :) I have a question- how do you use raw honey? I can never get it to spread well on toast, or blend into recipes without leaving lumps... do you end up reheating it a little to make it spread better?

Blessings,
Bethany

Unknown said...

What beautiful honey; and so much! A real blessing! It's cold and windy here, too. We even were dusted with snow last night! Oh, I'm so ready for warm weather!

Cinnamon said...

Okay I was just talking to my son about Greek Yogurt and we were talking about making some. Then I come here and read your wonderful "how to". Thank you, how ever did you know ;-)

Love the honey!!! There is ~nothing~ like raw honey. We love the honeycomb too :-)

Yes we are cold here too!! I have even been wearing long sleeve blouses again :-0

But your fire sounds wonderful!!

~Cinnamon

Anonymous said...

Hi, Regans,
Do you have Honeybee's. We are thinking about raising some ourselves.
Have any tips?

Regan Family Farm said...

As for the honey,unfortunately we do not have honeybees, I purchased it in a five gallon bucket from an Amish farm.

It is very thick...is that due to being raw? We don't have too much trouble with it (except perhaps, too much on our spoon!), though setting the jar on the back of the stove can gently warm it.

Farming On Faith said...

I loved seeing the pictures! I am so jealous. I would love the raw milk.
Thank you for well wishes on some R & R. It has been busy but emotional too. I will only have one left to homeschool next year~I say that with sadness for sure. My nest is quickly getting empty! I thought this day would never come and all to soon I am here. YOu cherish those moments.
Have a wonderful day~
Carrie

Lydia said...

What a tremndous blessing to have the raw milk from your own home! The honey looks so delicious. That shows you how real raw honey is supposed to look, not the often store-bought "raw" type...It must provide imcredible satisfaction to see all those jars, lining your shelves, and when consuming it, to know it is the fruit of yours, and your children's, labors! Great post. I am inspired! Thank you for posting! I love how you tie God's word in to all of life. AMEN! YES!

The Pauls' Family said...

I hear you! We have had to break down and start our stove a few times in the last couple of weeks! But we live in Canada...so it should be expected :)

We love making yogurt too! So yummy!

The pictures of honey made my mouth water. I am hoping to be able to get some big pails of raw stuff this year too!

Happy spring...hope it warms up for us all!

Rosalie

Farmgirl Cyn said...

We really MUST set a date to visit! I can come your way, or vice versa, tho it is much easier for me to travel as I have no little ones to tend to anymore! Let's set a "play date"?

Mary Voogt said...

Where is the amish farm? Is it around here? Do they have decent prices? Like I said, I'm always looking for good (affordable) local food.

Sorry if my comment shows up twice.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathy,

I know what you mean about the weather. Here in the North, it is quite cold that our coats had to be worn again :(

Raw milk yogurt is just wonderful. I also do the raw method and it is so delicious. I think the best thing that everyone must remember, is that the yogurt they buy in the store has pectin and the homemade one does not! This is why is it a bit looser than the one you purchase :)

The raw honey the best there is! I also get mine from a local farm...nothing beats the delicious taste of fresh honey...yummm!!!

Thank you for sharing your lovely home and your goodies :)

Many blessings dear one,

Maria

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

HI Kathy, is there more honey to be had? Is it by you guys?

I have been making three crockpots full of yogurt at a time. It is not 'raw' as it does get heated, but it is so easy. In the morning I have 6 quarts of yogurt! I do happen to have 3 crockpots ;-) I really should try the raw method.

Sending love!

Fiddlin Girl said...

Well, I can certainly feel for you in the term of being freezing cold!! We have a fire going right now, too... amazing weather for May, eh? Well, we are glad with the rain we are getting! lol
Looks like good yogurt and honey. Raw honey is the best! And homemade yogurt really tops everything. :)

In Christ Alone,
Sarah

Gae said...

I love your yougurt and honey post.
WE have been making our yougurt in a crock pot for some time and love it.
However we can only use bought milk not lovely home milk.
I always enjoy your posts and your real life sharing
Thank you
Blessings

Linda Stubbs said...

You have done such a beautiful job capturing loveliness. The jars are so pretty. Wish I could come to your house and you could show me how to do the yogurt together. Hmmmm happy thoughts!

Have your little punkin come over to our blog and see the two videos of our farm babies. She will like. I am sitting on the straw just watching them all play. THe life of a farmgirl!

Blessings, Linda