Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday on the Farm, Budgeting and A Farmhouse Recipe

Just for a few minutes I'm going to ignore the pressing needs around here! With kidding season, our mess takes on a whole new dimension, which requires supernatural patience on my part! I can tell what my pre-meno emotions are doing just by how I handle the mess and clutter. Most of it just can't be avoided...and the excitement of kidding carries us through much of the chaos, but today, it is CLEANING day, and the sun is shining brightly!!! WOO HOO! At this time of year, every ray of sunshine brings a feeling of hope, and today I'm feeling it.The door was left open and a lovely freshness was in the air...





One thing I am aiming to do is organize my life into a not-so-glamorous-binder-of-sorts. A friend showed me her version, and if I can get it together, it will go with me everywhere. Included will be a section for meals and groceries, and I'm going to make a huge effort to budget. I would define myself as consciencious and careful with spending already, but I'd like to keep track and take it to a new level. I feel so blessed to be able to stay at home to raise our children, but there are days when I feel that I am doing NOTHING to contribute to the financial needs of the home. My sweet husband reminds me that staying home and caring for the children, educating them, making wise and careful purchases, repurposing and reusing...all the these things DO contribute and help relieve him greatly. So, with that in mind, I'd like to improve in whatever way I can.




Making my own laundry soap this past year has been a step in the right direction, hanging my laundry is a beauty all it's own that saves over time, and making our own food reaps nutritional and financial benefits. We've received multiple bags of rolled oats which we use for home-made granola. My kiddos are loving it, (I'm always encouraged when they like something I make!) so I'm passing on another farmhouse favorite. It's inexpensive, easy, and has no preservatives.







Farmhouse Granola
1 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. honey
Melt in a large pan in the oven at 350. Add:
2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
Stir together, then add:
12 c. oats
1 1/2 c. coconut
1 1/2 c. almonds (or any nut of your choice)
1-2 c. graham cracker crumbs
(a new secret ingredient that isn't necessary, but is good)

Stir well, then bake 15-20 minutes, depending on how brown you like it. I stir it every 5-7 minutes, and we don't let it get too brown. Enjoy!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

12 cups of oats... Maybe I should cut down this recipe before trying it at home. =)

Lindsay said...

It sounds like you and your family have been crazy busy! I'm so thankful for the sunshine we've been getting too! Spring time is almost here. :) Thanks for the granola recipe. I might have to try that soon!

~ Love & Blessings,
Lindsay

P.S. - I love that first picture of the kitty in the laundry basket. How cute! :)

Sara x said...

wow making your own washing powder sounds brilliant and does it get the clothes really clean. Stains off and everything. We all have very senstive skin, would it work for us.

Lydia said...

I now actually have my own blog so I don't have to say :"Kelsey's Mom here" anymore! YAY!Thank you again for your inspiration! The picture of your cat is identical to one of our cats! So funny! I love reading your posts becasue I can relate to them sooo much! I want to tell you about a blog I think you will enjoy where we also got a home binder idea, like yours.This blog is also very inspiring and they are living a self-sufficient/agrarian lifestyle. It is one of the families that was on the DVD "Inherit The Land" by Franklin Springs, if you have ever seen or heard of it.I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it! Their blog address:
http://vaughnshire.com/
Hope you recieve much enjoyment as we have from it.
I am going to try your granola recipe.:)
Keep up the great posting!
In Christ,
Lydia

Kelsianne said...

I loved the picture of the cat in the laundry! Our's likes to do the same thing. We have a silver tabby that looks just like the one in the picture. :)
Thank-you for the "Farm Update" as well as the recipe!
God Bless,
Kelsey

Amy said...

Awesome recipe! Looks fantastic - I'm going to make some myself. Are you willing to share (if you can) the basics of your "not-so-glamorous-binder-of-sorts"? Because it sounds like a useful tool in both small and large households!

-Amy

Unknown said...

How do you store your granola? How long does it keep?

Cinnamon said...

You know sometimes I think you are writing your post (in the best multi-tasking way!) while peeking out the window to make sure the goats aren't running through the yard, keeping an eye on the little ones outside playing way to close to the mud pile :-), telling a child who is knocking on your bedroom door that you'll be done in a minute and taking quick sips from a cup of tea....all while typing out your thoughts and hopes. It's quite the picture of your multi-tasking abilities and I'm always amazed :-)

I love your granola and I love the measurements - LOTS!!

I think I feel just like you do when I'm bored at home and feel like I need to "do" more! Like home schooling, home keeping, self keeping, husband caring, appts, errands, household cleaning, counseling children, organizing and de-cluttering, grocery shopping and cooking isn't enough :-0

Whew I think I'm tired just from listing all we do in ONE day :-0

I know, why don't you take a break, and come over for a cup of tea at my house. We only have a little bit of mud and lots of snow and NO goats :-)

See ya' in a bit sweet friend :-)

~Cinnamon

Farming On Faith said...

Sounds wonderful!
I enjoyed reading your post~we all have times when it seems overwhelming.
I prayed you for tonight~hope tomorrow is a better day!
Blessings~
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathy,

Isn't it wonderful to watch your clean clothes dry gently in the breeze? I so want a clothing line...but not yet, says my darling husband. So I use my drying racks instead.

Spending wisely is something that has not come easy for me...what a struggle, that is why the Lord asked me stop spending for a year! Trust me this is not easy, especially from someone that enjoyes shopping as I do :)

I just enjoy granola so much...thank you for your wonderful thougths, for your ability to share yourself...

Blessings dear friend,

Maria

Maellen said...

Ooooooh yummy! I'll be trying your recipe soon! Thanks for posting! I absolutely love the clothes line picture! So clean! So fresh! So country! We live in the city on very little plot. We have an area in the planning for a clothes line, but it isn't up yet. Can't wait! My cat, too, jumps in the laundry basket as quickly as he can. He is quite hairy, though, and tends to cover everything with it! Oh well. We still love him! ;-)
I am going back to my cleaning now. Thanks for the break!
Maellen

Unknown said...

My dearest loves granola. I haven't made it in a while and it's so easy! Thanks for reminding me. :)

So nice to visit. I've been going a hundred different directions lately and switching computers, and babying a stiff neck/shoulder, etc. And I've missed you.

Happy Sunday to you and your family.

Love,
Lynnette
PS Any way you can come to my Chum Gathering? I'd LOVE to meet your family. The date set is June 26th. Could be lots and lots of fun!

Regan Family Farm said...

Elliot~
I should have mentioned quanity :)

Sara x~
I'm not the greatest at laundry, and our water is from the well, so I would say it does an "okay" job. I tried to add whiteners, but they don't mix in very well.

Stephanie~
I store the granola in a jar, and it lasts...only a couple days!!!

Susan said...

This recipe sounds great, can't wait to try it. It appears my daughter already has your daughter's blog as one of her favorites...it is fun to run in the same circles!
Looking forward to reading more...

Marmee's Pantry said...

I've made my own laudry detergent for quite a while now & can't imagine going back. It save us SO MUCH $$ & I put a little lavender essential oil in mine & it smells so good...& not too girlie for the man of the house. :-)

Thanks SO MUCH for the granola recipe!! I enjoy granola w/yogurt, so everytime I buy some I start thinking about looking up a good recipe. But, like so many times, once I get home & unpack all the groceries I forget that little task. Thanks for posting & taking that task off of my hands!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Gae said...

Dear Kathy,
I love your washing line. We have a HUGE one we use daily as we don't have a tumble dryer. As we come into the rainy/Autumn season though we end up having the 'chinese laundry' look inside as we get the clothes dry.
Thanks for the recipe I love trying new things.
I always enjoy visitng here even if I don't comment, as I feel as if you see life as I do.
Blessings

Tricia said...

Thank you for sharing your Farmhouse Granola recipe! I plan on making a batch. :D

What laundry recipe do you use?

God bless.
Patricia

Catherine Anne said...

Thank you for this!!!!