Friday, January 15, 2010

Farmhouse Apple Dumplings and More



My friend, Cinnamon, was tempted this picture of
Farmhouse Apple Dumplings and requested the recipe. If you visit her blog, you'll find that she beat me to it, and has already made her own version. So, perhaps she'll need to make these and do a taste test, then let us all know...


Farmhouse Apple Dumplings


2 c. sugar

2 c. water

1 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/4 c. butter


Make into syrup and boil 3 minutes. Using 6 apples, peel, core and thinly slice.

2 c. flour

1 t. salt

2 t. baking powder

3/4 c shortening (or butter)

1/2 c. milk

Cut together ingredients to make dough. Roll out into 1/4" thickness. Cut into 9 squares. Arrange a handful of apple slices on each square, wrap the dough around the apples, and arrange in a baking dish. Pour syrup over the top and bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Top with whipping cream or ice-cream if desired.
:::
So what happens around here when momma is busy and distracted with something else instead of Little Running Squash? Well, the obvious! Little Running Squash heads into the mud room bathroom and retrieves the TOILET PLUNGER! I know that has a very useful purpose, but in general, I find it disgusting. She, however, was quite proudly toting the thing around, until I saw her.
:::
Today the children were out in the barn mucking the stall for the horse and cow. I'm headed out to check soon, but they report (with as many details as possible) that Lucy the cow is showing signs of pending birth. Silly, but I feel like the resident midwife, and need to prepare for the big moment. I'm really hoping that she'll be just fine on her own and not require any intervention. As it is, I'm trying to prepare Tom for "heroic" measures, should they be necessary.
:::
It's Friday! Have a wonderful evening!
Love, Kathy






7 comments:

Farming On Faith said...

It sounds to be an eventful weekend at your house.
You can come be my neighbor anytime. I will clean your chicken coop in exchange for some of those Apple Dumplings~
Have a wonderful weekend.

Jenilee said...

it looks wonderful! Yum!!

Cinnamon said...

Oh your dumplings definitely look prettier than ours. Funny thing is right after you posted about making them, we received a huge box of yummy apples from our Pastor's wife. I remembered you made them but didn't have your recipe yet or I would have certainly used yours. And yes, I will make yours (since they look so much nicer) and we'll do a taste test :-)

Oh, resident midwife~ I think I'd much rather be having the baby than delivering :-0

Blessings my sweet friend~ Cinnamon

Cinnamon said...

I just looked at the recipe I used and compared it with yours. Your has more spices but both recipes sound about the same. Can't wait to try yours out!

~Cinnamon

Unknown said...

That sounds delicious!

Kyrie said...

Dear Mrs. Regan,

I've been following Jenna's and Josh's blogs for a while, but I just now found your's, and am really enjoying reading about the same events they tell about, but from the "mother's perspective"! :D

Blessings!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

Kelsianne said...

Mom and I have saved the recipe! :)
Blessings,
Kelsey