Not feeling very "feminine" today as I spent the day in my pajamas trying to recover from a migraine. Everyone has learned how best to help momma when I'm down with one of these, and today daddy took the five oldest along with Laura to visit friends. That left me with Anna and Natalie (four and two), who tried to nap, then tried to play school next to me while I laid on the couch. Anna insisted that she work on her math, as that had not yet been done. Immediately she headed for the sums of nine, and I had to convince her that she was jumping in a bit to deep. Natalie was just content to mimic whatever Anna said.
"The husband, weary from work...comes to his home, and sudden rest falls on him like a mantle, when he sees by a neat hearth children with smooth heads and clean pinafores, and the wife, who has not forgotten the pretty wiles of dress wherewith she first pleased his eye. If the lover has a pleasure in seeing shining teeth, well-dressed hair, neat hands, a well-shod foot, a throat tastefully arranged, has the husband necessarily deteriorated that he will care for none of these things?" The Complete Home by Mrs. Julia McNair Wright, 1879
1 comment:
I'm just now visiting your beautiful blog for the first time and am delighted and enchanted with the sweetness and homines and simplicity of atmosphere here!
I particularly like the quote at the end of this post - what an inspiring, convicting and encouraging passage! Thank you for this reminder today to try to make my home a restful haven for my husband! I needed that - too often I immediately launch in a vocal review of the day focusing on the bad behaviour of our children and the mischief they have got into. Thank you for this encouragement!! Have a blessed day!
Post a Comment